Christmas decorations are put away, 2018 has ended and now we have a naked house which is why January is the perfect time to refresh your home and embrace the good and new. So I gathered information from different senior designers and put together home decor trends that will stand out this year.1.
- Sustainability: Recently, we have seen an enormous push to think about sustainability not as just a “good thing to do” but something we must do. Shopping local, being mindful about who do we purchase from, what materials they use are all meaningful to support our neighbors and the community
- Biophilia: Which brings me to the next home decor trend, biophilia (the relationship between humankind and nature). We have become a society that’s constantly engaging with technology, phones and emails, so our minds are exhausted. There is scientifically proven connection between human and nature so biophilic design trends bring nature in through materials meant to calm and center us. Materials such as concrete accents, stone, granite, copper, wood, greenery and fibers will help bring an organic and serene ambiance to any space while reflecting the world around your home. “We are machine- and technology-driven society, but nostalgic about past processes and handiwork, so opportunities for custom millwork and crafted materials are very important.”—Angie Lee of FXCollaborative.
Biophilic features in a conference room in the Western Union office in Centennial, Colorado.
3. Floral fabrics and wallpaper: Decorators expect to find exaggerated proportions and contrasting colors used for this timeless decor pattern. From floral lamp shades to ottomans and abstracted wallpaper.
Graham & Brown- Chelsea Sun Wallpaper
4. Handmade pieces: We will continue seeing handmade items in homes due to the growth of sustainability and biophilic design. “Items made by hand using sustainable materials like jute, rice paper, and clay will be in, in 2019. We see people needing these grounding elements in their homes as a way to feel more in touch with the earth and their roots.” — Kristen Peña of K Interiors.
Flippin’ Rustic- Handmade barn door
6. Modern Boho: Designers are expecting to see many nods to the 70s era, including boho vibes with a modern twist. You can incorporate this trend with items like hanging chairs, wooden wall panels, hides as throws and rugs, rattan furniture, timber tableware, textile and fiber art, velvet furniture, woven hammocks, natural fiber rugs, bold colors, brick exposure, earthy colors, and metallics.
Image via: Trend Scout
8.Black and white decor: “A truly timeless design trend, black and white furnishings will want to be on your list of trends to incorporate into your home’s decor this 2019. The visual contrast of black and white will provide a sense of balance and boldness to your home’s space” according to Decoraid. Black and white tiles, white everything and black accents such as pillows, accent chairs, and artwork can all be used in a black and white room
Image via Elle Decor
Hope you found this post inspirational and start decorating your naked home with these new trends. What’s your favorite decor trend for this year?